Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Texas Half

My half marathon, The Texas Half, was last Saturday, January 30th. It came up pretty fast, but I felt ready to run. It was COLD! The weather had been really nice up until a few days before the marathon and then the day of a cold front came through. It probably was about 20 degrees and windy. Before the race I warmed up though, and I felt really good and confident. Then the race started and for the first 7 miles I felt great. I was keeping my pace (9 minute miles) and all felt really good. After 7 miles I kind of lost it. I didn't have any energy and I just kept getting slower. The course went around a lake, which is about 10 miles (White Rock Lake) and then past the start and then turned around and came back for the finish. The whole race the wind was with us. But that last mile when we turned around the wind was against us and I swear it got colder as the morning wore on. I didn't reach my goal time of under 2 hours but I finished, which I was excited about. My time was 2:10:15, so there is definitely room for improvement, and I have decided to train for another half marathon in the spring. I haven't decided which one yet, but I am excited to train and hopefully improve my time a bit. I would like to thank all the people the supported me in running the half marathon especially Liam and Roland. Liam was my running partner most mornings and he really was such a good sport about sitting in the stroller for so long. Roland helped motivate me to get out and run on those days I just didn't feel like it and watched Liam on my long Saturday runs. Sorry this was such along post, but I guess I had a lot to write about. Again thank you all for all of your support. I couldn't have done it without you!
My running buddy. Roland and Liam almost froze waiting for me to finish. Thanks for coming you guys! Stretching before the half


The start!



I'm done!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

You did great! That's awesome! I know how hard it is when you fall under your goal due to crappy weather or the unexpected- but the most important thing is that you got out there and did it! Congrats! You did fantastic! That is still a wonderful time!

Crystal said...

ps: I recognize those pants! ;-) Wonder who you got those from hehe

Parkinson Family said...

thats awesome andrea! congrats!!

Sammy said...

Way to go Andrea!! That's so awesome you did it!!

Anna W said...

Way to go! I'm so glad you're still running! Good job on your time. I know you want to do better than that, but it's way better than I could have done!!!