Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Texas Half Recap

Today was the Texas Half! I thought I would blog about it while I had it fresh in my mind. Training for this race was not easy for me. I would feel great one week and then the next get a cold or slight injury. It was a struggle, until the last few long runs. I had some awesome running partner and the runs felt so good. The last run was 11.5 miles so I felt prepared for the race.
This morning was great weather, not too hot or cold, but a bit windy. I started out the run with Jenny who had been my running bud the last few long runs. We both had a goal of running under 2 hours and for the first 9.5 miles we were right on track. I felt pretty good except for the cramp in my calf and side. But after about 9 miles my energy evaporated. I blame it on my "special visitor" that decided to make an appearance this week. So I let Jenny run ahead and I kept going on my own. It was really all I could do to put on foot in front of the other. People were passing me left and right and more than once I really wanted to walk. It doesn't help that in the course you pass the end, but have to run a mile passed it and back before you finish and that you can see the finish line for the last long mile. Insecurities started creeping in the last few miles saying that I couldn't/didn't want to do this, but I knew I just had to keep on running. Once I started up the hill (not nice people) that is the finish line I gave it all the energy I had and finished. My official time was 2:06:46 a 9:36 pace. I little over my goal, but I am super happy with this time. I beat my time from 2 years ago and I only had one kid then!
At the end I was super tired, hungry and a little shaky, but I had done it. I had finished. I love that running is such a metaphor for life. This race and life are not easy, but you just have to keep on going! I am so glad I committed to this. I am grateful for my running buds that helped my with the long training runs and for Jenny for keeping me going for so long. I am grateful for my super special running buddies, Liam and Landon that were there for almost every run. And of course I am grateful for my husband who has supported my through it all. What a great experience! Next race: NH Marathon perhaps?
Timothy 4: 7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith

Most of my running buds!
Jenna's kiddos: Avarie really want her picture taken. All the kids did so well waiting for their mommies!
And I am done!
Spending some time with one of my favorite running partners!
I had to post a good calf picture! Check me out!
This was about mile 10.5. This is exactly how I felt!

Before I left this morning!

I had a super fun spaghetti dinner with all my running friends on Friday night. It was so fun and brought my back to my cross country days!

2 comments:

Tatia said...

Way to go Andrea! You rocked that race!

Anna W said...

That's a great time, if you ask me! Good job :)